Friday, October 10, 2014

1984 by George Orwell

1984 by George Orwell
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.09 of 5 Stars
My Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Page Count: 326

Synopsis:

While 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is more timely that ever. 1984 presents a "negative utopia", that is at once a startling and haunting vision of the world — so powerful that it's completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of entire generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions — a legacy that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

Another classic...But guess what!!! :D I liked this one! I mean...I still only gave it three stars because...well it's a classic and just because this one didn't bore me half to death, it still wasn't my favorite book of all time. 


It was easy to relate it to today's time though. The book was written in 1949, a time when people really thought this was how the future was going to turn out. It was probably one of the first dystopian books. Orwell was big on those since he also wrote Animal Farm that was about animals taking over the human's place in the world. But that's not what this review is about xD


Anyway! Winston was the typical main character for a dystopian book. He wanted to break away from the government and embrace his individuality. Now that would have been all fine an dandy if Orwell wouldn't have gone and made the ending the way he did. I have to say that I was actually surprised by how things turned out and usually I'm pretty good at predicting how things would turn out....not this time though. This time I was caught off guard and it was refreshing :) 


So, if you like classics and you like dystopians then this is definitely the book for you. Even if you don't really like classics but you have to read it for school then I recommend this one. It's a pretty good one


~Tia

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I think might put this on my tbr list! :)

    Also, I have tagged you for the Book Gif tag!!!! :D I hope you have as much fun as I have! Here are the books listed:
    http://booksoffascination.blogspot.com/2014/10/book-gif-tag.html#gpluscomments

    ReplyDelete