Friday, October 3, 2014

The Gift of Charms by Julia Suzuki

Source of Pic: Goodreads
The Gift of Charms by Julia Suzuki
My Rating: 2 Stars
Average rating on Goodreads: 4.39 out of 5 Stars
Pages: 288

Synopsis:

This epic children's novel -- first in the Land of Dragor series -- has appeal for all ages. 

It transports the reader to the magical Land of Dragor, where seven dragon clans live hidden from man having beaten off the evil dragsaur beasts. Their great war is over and the dragons live peacefully among the smoking mud pools and around The Fire Which Must Never Go Out, but the terrible years when they were enslaved by humans have left a lasting scar and they are told they can never soar above the mountains and leave their safe haven to explore the outside world. There is unease in the air of their mist-filled valley, and the coming of a strange egg heralds a new era. Unlike the normal delicate lilac, this shell is multi-coloured like the contents of a treasure chest. The newborn hatchling is called Yoshiko, but he is immediately treated with suspicion by the elders, and is lucky to survive. The last time a coloured egg was laid, legendary warrior leader Surion was born from a red shell, and with his gift of fire the dragons went to battle with the humans. Will Yoshiko bring a blessing to the clans, or a curse? Could Dragor be about to meet its saviour, or its destroyer?

Chameleon-like Yoshiko is bullied and tormented as he grows up, taunted at fire school as he struggles to produce a jet of flame. Desperate to hide his colour changes, he flees from school one day and finds himself on the fabled mountain of Cattlewick Cave, home to the mysterious and reclusive elder Guya. This chance meeting changes Yoshiko’s life, and as he develops from hatchling to youngling, he is inspired to spread his wings and venture outside Dragor. He returns with magic gifts – but only time will tell if they heal or harm Dragor.

I received this book directly from the author for an honest review. Thank you, Julia :D I greatly appreciate the opportunity.

Now....The book....

I regret to say that I didn't like it. I felt that the dragons were too people like. I've read other middle grade books about dragons, but they seemed more realistic than this one. Some of the actions that the characters performed didn't go along with the creature they were supposed to be. Now, I understand that this is a middle grade book and the people who usually read it are much younger than me, but I just couldn't get into it.

The animosity between Igorr and Yoshiko developed too quickly as well...actually the whole book seemed to develop too quickly for my liking. The conflict was set in the very beginning and that didn't bother me, but it was the way that Yoshiko figured things out really quickly that didn't sit well.

And the dialogue...
I felt that all the history and everything important was told to the reader with dialogue. Sometimes that's okay but for this story I felt like it didn't fit. And I felt like it was really forced and awkward. I even had a friend of mine read a few sentences with me and she felt the same way.

I really wanted to enjoy this book. I thought I would too because all of the great reviews I read on Goodreads...but I just didn't. So I give this book 2 stars because even though I didn't like it, I do understand that this is a middle grade book and not a book that I would normally read.

~Tia

2 comments:

  1. Hm. So you didn't like it? XD I love the cover, though... dragons are so beautiful ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't like it xD I like the cover too...the book is just...meh

      Delete