Sunday, February 22, 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

I Was Here by Gayle Forman
Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.85 of 5 stars
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Page Count: 288

Synopsis:
Cody and Meg were inseparable.
Two peas in a pod.
Until . . . they weren’t anymore.

When her best friend Meg drinks a bottle of industrial-strength cleaner alone in a motel room, Cody is understandably shocked and devastated. She and Meg shared everything—so how was there no warning? But when Cody travels to Meg’s college town to pack up the belongings left behind, she discovers that there’s a lot that Meg never told her. About her old roommates, the sort of people Cody never would have met in her dead-end small town in Washington. About Ben McAllister, the boy with a guitar and a sneer, who broke Meg’s heart. And about an encrypted computer file that Cody can’t open—until she does, and suddenly everything Cody thought she knew about her best friend’s death gets thrown into question.

I Was Here is Gayle Forman at her finest, a taut, emotional, and ultimately redemptive story about redefining the meaning of family and finding a way to move forward even in the face of unspeakable loss.

I love Gayle Forman's writing. I fell in love with If I Stay, couldn't put down Just One Day, and now, she has made me love another one of her books: I Was Here.

This one has a completely different feel to it than her other books. It was about finding oneself, which the others have, but Cody was finding herself through another person. She was going through something a lot of us have gone through before. I know I have questioned the reason for continuing before and Cody's journey through figuring out what was going on with Meg before her death shows just how easy it is for that temptation to reach you. It shows that every person, even the one people think is the strongest person they know, is susceptible to falling.

Forman crafted a delicate, heart wrenching story, and I could not put it down. I felt like I was on the journey with Cody. I even questioned my own strength while I was reading this book and it made me realise that I am strong, because if I wasn't, then I would have given in to the temptation like Meg had.

I also liked the slow burning romance. The connection between her and Ben was there from the beginning but nothing happened between them, until the end, except one kiss in the heat of the moment. There aren't enough books like that and it's been kind of refreshing to read so many back to back.

I Was Here is probably my favourite books of Gayle's and I recommend it greatly.

нαρρу яєα∂ιиg
тια

0 comments:

Post a Comment