Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Collector's Society by Heather Lyons

The Collector's Society by Heather Lyons
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.39 of 5 stars
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Page Count: 355

Synopsis:
From the author of the Fate series and The Deep End of the Sea comes a fantastical romantic adventure that has Alice tumbling down the strangest rabbit hole yet.

After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth.

It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?

*This is the first book in the Collectors' Society series. 

**I received an eARC copy from the publisher in return for an honest review**

I first heard about this book from Ivey over at The Hopeless Reader but you guys probably know her as the queen of books on twitter. She raved about this book and, me being me, checked out the synopsis and started obsessing XD I fell in love before I even read it. I mean, grown up Alice? Other characters from other famous stories? All in one place? Hell yeah! Sounded like my kind of book.

I didn't get the chance until now to actually read it though. I signed up for a blog tour for The Hidden Library, the sequel to The Collector's Society, and was offered an ARC copy of this book. I was ecstatic. It gave to the excuse to put off my other books and finally read it! And I have to say, I was not disappointed!

The story was very well written and also insanely unique! It was also one of those books where the story was the main focus of the book and not the romance. I mean, yeah there was definitely romance, but it didn't overshadow everything. Also, I think some people would argue that there was a love triangle because of Alice's love for the White King, Jace, but there really wasn't because it was clear that she would never be with him like she was during her years in Wonderland.

I really really liked the intermingling with all of the characters. Lyons did a fantastic job of bringing them all together while still  making it her own story, I also liked the fact that the characters from the classic stories weren't all main characters.

While I absolutely loved this book, I did have one slight problem with the ending. I expected there to be a tiny bit more heartbreak or something that would truly push the characters to go after Sweeny Todd more than they already wanted to. I mean, I'm glad Brom is still alive and whatnot but I think the ending was slightly too easy.

Other than that, the book was practically flawless. One of my favourite books.

нαρρу яєα∂ιиg
тια

0 comments:

Post a Comment