Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: Designated Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger
Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.93 of 5 stars
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Page Count: 280

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

As y'all know, The DUFF has recently become a major motion picture. I never really considered reading this book before the movie came out since I had heard quite a few negative things about it, but when I saw the commercials I figured, why not? The movie looks decent so the book can't be that bad, can it?

Well let me tell you. The movie is going to be absolutely nothing like the book. I was thinking that the book would be about Wesley helping Bianca overcome her "duff" status, but no. It focuses on their secret relationship and Bianca's problems at home. There isn't even that much mention of the "duff" besides the times that Wesley calls her duffy and the times that she lets what he said when he first met her affect her.

Now this book also had one of my favorite love stories in it, the hate to love, but the characters just ruined it for me. Bianca was annoying and so very very bad at communicating with people and she kind of turned into a bitch. Wesley was okay though. He was a nice guy beneath that man-slut exterior and a lot of the time he had me smiling and liking him.

Casey was the badass of the book. I think it would be cool to get a story from her point of view because she really was pretty cool. And Jessica. Bianca and Casey's other friend, she was okay but sometimes I found her innocence to be rather annoying.

And Toby! Oh gosh, that kid may have been the sweetest guy ever but he annoyed me!! His looks we just...ugh (not that looks are everything), and he was just so freaking awkward! I don't even know how Bianca liked him for so long. Even the way she described him had me instantly disliking him. It's not like he didn't have great qualities but I just knew that he wasn't the best person for Bianca and that he shouldn't have even been included. This was one of the love triangles that was completely unnecessary.

I do look forward to see what they change in the movie though, maybe I'll like it more than the book

нαρρу яєα∂ιиg
тια

0 comments:

Post a Comment