Monday, August 15, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Review

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.96 of 5 stars
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Page Count: 328

Synopsis:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

***
WARNING: This might be slightly spoilery...I will keep it as clean as I can

Going into this book, I was a little apprehensive. I had heard many disappointing things about it, but I set those aside so I was able to form my own opinions. When I first started this, it was hard to keep those worries at bay and I somewhat let that affect my views. But as I got farther into the actual story of things and I became a little more comfortable with the characters, I was able to shut out those worries and I actually enjoyed it! Now, even though I enjoyed the story, there were still a lot of problems with it.

The Bad
So many of the characters had such different personalities than they had in previous books. Now, I understand that 20+ years have passed since they were kids and people always change over time, but these were such drastic changes. And I'm not talking about the changes that happened when Albus and Scorpius messed up time. For example, Harry banning his son from seeing Scorpius. The way he did it was so controlling and...*mean* I couldn't wrap my head around the sudden change in him. Though it helped that the directions stated that Ginny couldn't understand his change either. And Ron...he seemed a little fake. Like he was trying WAAAY too hard to be Fred.

The typos. For some reason there were so many typos in my copy. It was frustrating.

Basically this story was pointless. Albus and Scorpius may have changed things in the past, but obviously everything was going to be fixed and nothing was *actually* going to change because that would make the original HP series void. The only significant thing was probably Delphi, a child no one knew existed.

The Good
We get to see our old favourite characters! Honestly, it was so nice to see the gang in another setting. It was strange that everyone was grown up, but getting to join the Harry Potter world again was simply amazing.

Scorpius. I loved him. His character was so kind and was definitely a more Harry Potter like character than Albus was. I was glad this his character was so important in the end while trying to fix time.

I actually liked seeing the different ways history could have gone if small little things had gone differently. Like Hermione and Ron, and the outcome of the Battle of Hogwarts...Things all of us loved about the original series were changing and I felt myself panicking when things went a certain way, even though I knew they would all fix it before the end. I never knew how important the ending of the original series was to me until things started changing.

Overall
Ultimately, I liked this book. I just didn't LOVE it like I loved the others. It is definitely worth the read, just don't expect it to knock your socks off :p

0 comments:

Post a Comment