Monday, August 15, 2016

It's Monday! Let's Discuss.....Blogging Advice!

So this post will be the start of a new discussion feature on my blog. I needed something new to get me back into the groove of things and a few of you guys suggested things that I could discuss on here...I thought about it and the few ideas you guys gave got the ball rolling for more and more ideas to come to me. So I have quite a bit of material for awhile haha!

This week I've decided to discuss the reason I started blogging and advice I have for new bloggers!

***

A little over two years ago (probably closer to two and a half years ago), I was very active on Goodreads. I was a part of many groups and even moderated some of them. I knew lots of people and had even made a very close nit group of friends. Two of those friends created a blog called Fangirling Misses. It was made for everyone in our group to use (since we called ourselves the misses haha), but I only followed their posts for the first few months. After the blog had been up and running for awhile, I decided to finally give it a try. I wrote reviews for Goodreads, so I figured I might as well post them to the blog as well.

The process of learning all of the new blogging techniques and the awesome ways you could get review books was fun. Cassie, Belle, and I grew even closer as we came up with new features to have on the blog. However, it wasn't long before I wanted to attempt to run a blog on my own. I still planned on posting on the Fangirling Misses blog, but I liked the idea of having my own space to come up with even more cool features.

Unfortunately, after I created my own, Fangirling Misses started slowly becoming inactive. Cassie got busy with school and Belle created her own blog. But then I started getting busy with school, moving halfway across the world, and spending as much time with my boyfriend, Ben, as I could. That's why Read It Write Now has suffered. Transitioning has been hard. That's also why I really want to get back into blogging...I miss it. I miss you guys. I miss talking with people on twitter.

So, that leads me into the advice I have for new bloggers.

1. Blog for yourself

Having followers and making sure they are happy is important, sure...but ultimately you need to blog for yourself. Write posts that make you happy, read books that you WANT to read, not books you feel you HAVE to read. If you only want to post once a week, go for it! If you want to post all 7 days a week, then do that too! The way you run your blog is completely up to you and no one else

2. Don't be shy

If making friends or getting followers is your goal, twitter is a great place to meet people. Everyone, no matter how long they've been blogging, is very welcoming and won't mind you starting up a conversation with them. The blogging community is so big and there are so many wonderful people in it.

3. Don't get discouraged

I know it's easy to get discouraged when you've been blogging for almost a year and you don't have as many followers or friends you wanted when you first started, but don't let it get to you! Give it a little more time and you'll be a wonderful little social butterfly :)

4. Have fun

That is the ultimate goal when blogging. We all do it because of our love for reading. If you aren't having fun or you find yourself too stressed out about posting frequently, then it might be time for a break, or time to change it up a bit! You always want to have fun when reading and blogging or there's no point in it!!

1 comment:

  1. I think The Fangirling Misses was the first blog I followed when I made my blog! I must have been in some of the same groups as ya'll and followed :)

    I love #2! I'm a pretty shy person in real life so when I first started blogging, I didn't really want to talk to many people (even though, like you, I was very active on Goodreads and had made lots of connections) because I thought they would think that I'm just a little nobody. But really, no matter how many followers people have or anything, everyone is really nice! I have yet to meet a person in the blogging community that isn't willing to talk with other people in the blogging community! Great advice, Tia!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete