Monday, August 22, 2016

It's Monday! Let's Discuss....Love Triangles

This weeks discussion is going to be a little cliche since I know most of you guys have read a post about this topic, but without further adeu....

This week's topic is: Love Triangles

Now I know there are so many different views on love triangles. Some people love them and some people hate them. I, however, and slightly in between. There are some love triangles that I absolutely hate. Ones that I think are unnecessary and are only used because it's become a trend in young adult books. For example, all of the love interests in the Throne of Glass series is a little much. I know that now Celeana is with who she is meant to be with, but the others weren't very necessary...At least the first love interest wasn't. Now, don't get me wrong, Throne of Glass is one of my favourite series ever and I think Sarah J. Maas' writing is freaking phenomenal, I just think some love interests are unnecessary.

The love triangle in White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout also wasn't necessary. The moment the one she chooses in the end was revealed, you just knew that's who she would end up with...even with the events of the end of the first book. There are just times when you know for a fact that she will choose a specific boy so the other boy's involvement in her love life is just kind of pointless...even if it always is a way to bring in some drama.

But then there are some love triangles that I don't mind. Like the love triangle in the Trylle series by Amanda Hocking. Wendy's first love interest made so much sense because he was the only one she was able to trust when she was dumped in the middle of a world she had no idea existed. it made sense for her to seek comfort from someone she knew. But as the series progressed it also made sense for that love to die out and be replaced with responsibilities. And when her second love interest was introduced, their match also made sense...even if it was a little unconventional in the beginning.

There are some love triangles that work and some that don't...which is why they're always a hit and miss for me. Overall, I understand why love triangles are so widely used, but I would also like to see more authors stick to one love interest the entire series.

What are your view on love triangles? Do you love them? Hate them? Or are you somewhere in between?


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Tia. I totally understand why love triangles are a thing. I mean, they create conflict which is an author's best friend! But sometimes, when they take over the plot, I just want to put the book down. Case and point, The Selection series. There was this really cool world to explore with a whole lot of politics and rebel groups going on but instead, the love triangle took the front seat. Great discussion!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete