Monday, August 29, 2016

It's Monday! Let's Discuss...Overhyped Books

This week I thought we would discuss overhyped books and how they can influence people's opinions about them

For me, I feel that when books are overhyped, there is an expectation to LOVE them. I think the views of others, whether it be based on the actual story, the cover, or any other aspect of the book, influence others. Because as a community we want to like and support those popular books that we've heard so much about.

This, in turn, causes a general fear about *not* loving the book. I've seen so many posts where people say "Please don't hate me but I didn't like *insert book title here*" People should not feel ashamed for liking or not liking a book. We all have our own preferences when it comes to what we read and there is nothing wrong with being different.

But there is also a point where criticism of a book can become to much. It's understandable that there are people who don't like a certain book, but be nice about it. Authors have feelings too and just because you don't like their book doesn't mean they didn't work hard on it. (I just wanted to address the drama of this week. We're all human, we make mistakes, but there is a point where we must be held accountable for our actions. We are all part of the same community and it is so much better when we are all sharing love instead of hate with each other)

I apologise for the short post this week but I had a busy weekend and didn't have the time to fully flesh out this discussion post

What are your thoughts on Overhyped Books? 

1 comment:

  1. There definitely is the fear of being a black sheep! Personally, I try not to read reviews of books I haven't read yet too deeply so I don't know too much about what people did and didn't like so I don't have a biased opinion. It's even more important to me to avoid reviews of R&R books that I have. I was recently looking through my average ratings, though, and I think I'm still falling victim to overhype! If a book is a published by a reputable publishing house and people generally liked it, I think I'm definitely more likely to overlook certain things and give it a higher rating. I'll definitely have to work on that! Great discussion, Tia!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete