Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My Lady Jane Review

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.18 of 5 Stars
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Page Count: 491

Synopsis:
The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.

At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane is about to become the Queen of England.
***
The Bad
The first part of this book was very slow going. There was a point when I didn't even want to finish it. I read this for the #ReadThemAllThon and I considered switching this for another overhyped book. It was disappointing because I had heard so many good things about this book and I really wanted to like it. But it's a good thing I stuck with it because as you can see, I gave it 4 stars which means I liked it after all!

There was a lot of info dump. I think that's what made it feel like it was going so slow for me. There was just SO much detail. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted the pace to pick up a little more. 

The Good
I loved the pace at which Jane and G's love for each other developed. It felt real and genuine. I think their one of my new favourite book couples now. Gracie and Edward's relationship was also a favourite of mine

I like the concept of this book. I like how the authors took a part of history and changed it to make it more fun. It may have been historically inaccurate in some parts, but there were also parts that corresponded with history. It kind of reminded me of Hamilton and how the composition of the songs relate to the youth of today. It makes people actually learn about things in a different way than they would in a classroom. 

And the references to things like Game of Thrones (the red wedding line) and Tangled (frying pans. Who knew) made it all the more funny. 

Overall
It was a rocky start, but it switched to a pretty great book. Definitely funny and worth the read. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment