Thursday, September 29, 2016

Empire of Storms Review

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.52 of 5 Stars
My Rating:
Page Count: 704

Synopsis:

The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

***
I don't know where to start with this....Everything is this book was just...heartbreaking yet fulfilling at the same time. I don't know if I can even separate the things I didn't like from the things I did like because all of the amazing, wonderful things about Empire of Storms is overwhelming my brain.

The Bad
To be honest...I didn't like the relationships. Aelin and Rowan are obviously super amazing and everything, but it was everyone else. I liked the idea of the relationships, but...I don't know. There was something missing. Like every time they had "alone time" it all seemed super redundant. Each of the women thought the same thing about their men. And each of the men responded the same way. I definitely think if there was more diversity in the relationships it wouldn't have felt as repetitive.

The Good
Despite my lack of enthusiasm over the romantic relationships, I greatly enjoyed the friendships that were formed in this book. The group of individuals became basically family and it was so heartwarming to see. Especially with Aelin and Manon. Their love/hate relationship was very entertaining. However, Aedion's attitude towards Aelin was a little frustrating. Sure, she has made mistakes before, she left Terrasen alone for 10 years. But she was just a kid in that time! She shouldn't be held accountable for not taking care of a kingdom that was basically destroyed. Though his reaction when he realized exactly what she had been doing to get them an army was priceless, if a bit heartbreaking.

The ending :( Even with how heartbreaking and sad it was, I cannot wait for the next book. Everything is finally gonna go down and the war we've all been holding our breath for will finally come to light. I am so excited to see what happens to all the characters...though I don't think I could take it if the characters I've come to love die. We've already had way too many close calls, and I'd be unable to go on if Maas actually did kill them off.

Overall
This book was everything and so much more. I can't wait for the final book to come out so that we can finally breath a sigh of relief that everyone is safe and Erilea is finally at peace (at least this is the ending I'm hoping for haha)

0 comments:

Post a Comment