Friday, September 2, 2016

Parable of the Sower Review

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.12 of 5 Stars
My Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Page Count: 345

Synopsis:
When unattended environmental and economic crises lead to social chaos, not even gated communities are safe. In a night of fire and death Lauren Olamina, a minister's young daughter, loses her family and home and ventures out into the unprotected American landscape. But what begins as a flight for survival soon leads to something much more: a startling vision of human destiny... and the birth of a new faith.

***
The Bad
Honestly there isn't much bad with this book in my opinion. The pace was a little slow but it needed to be. Every aspect of this book was needed to convey the horrible loss and heartbreak each character suffered through.

The Good
It was realistic. It was so realistic that it was scary. With the way the country is going right now...it's scary to think that this could happen to us. The greediness of the human race is so strong that it's only plausible that this is what would happen if our country did go down the drain. And with the United States being one of the strongest countries in the world, our downfall will be one of the worst with other countries trying to lay claim to what used to be ours, which is exactly what happens when a new company, promising job security and room and board, gets created by the Chinese, German, and one other country. 

It was heartbreaking. Now I know that this probably shouldn't be considered a good thing...but the fact that the author could put so many feelings into this book with only her words is amazing. The things that happened in this book were graphic, dehumanizing, and just plain horrible. But We already see things like this happening today and not many people do things to stop it which makes it hit home even more. Especially with the death tolls rising to drastic levels these past few years. 

I loved the fact that it was written in a journal form. I would have loved to see things from a few of the other's perspectives, but the narrator captured their personalities and views very well. She never left anything out, no matter how horrible it was. She was also a very strong main character as well. Despite her hyper-empathy syndrome, which caused her to feel other's pain and pleasure (but mostly pain), she did what she had to do to survive. She protected her people if it came down to that and she was the backbone of her small group.  

Overall
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you are looking for a life changing novel, this is definitely it. I am so glad my roommate recommended this book to me and I am so glad I decided to read it for the #ReadThemAllThon and I highly recommend it 

2 comments:

  1. OH GOOOOOD THIS BOOK <3 Thank you for putting this on my radar.

    Yani // Paper Boulevard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I am always happy to show people new books! I hope you enjoy it when, and if, you get to read it! If you do you should share your thoughts with me :)

      Delete