Friday, September 16, 2016

The 5th Wave Review

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy
Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.14 of 5 Stars
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Page Count: 457

Synopsis:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
***
I decided to read this book because I have yet to see the movie and I wanted to be able to know the differences between the two....I still haven't seen the movie though. 

The Bad
When Cassie first meets Evan (or when she wakes up in his house) she seems to get a little too comfortable with him too fast. In the beginning she was this cynical, pessimistic teenage girl who has witnessed horrible things happen, yet she falls so easily for a guy she just met. 

I didn't like how you had to figure out which person was talking. The switch in voices was a little disorienting, I mean eventually you figure it out because how can you not, but in the beginning I was like "who is talking? What is happening? This is not Cassie" because going into it, I didn't know it was multiple point of views

The Good
I really liked the concept regarding the aliens. Alien stories have always fascinated me because that is such a mystery surrounding space. I believe there has to be some form of life out there because we can't be all there is, but I have no idea how those other beings would show themselves to us. So it's interesting to see what other people think could happen. 

I loved Cassie's brother. He was so cute, and his military name, Nugget, made him even cuter. Honestly I liked all of the kids in their little group. I really want to know more of their stories

Overall
I enjoyed this one enough to pick up the second installment...here's to hoping it's just as good!

2 comments:

  1. That's exactly what I thought of Evan too! Cassie trusts him so easily after spending the first 50 pages saying how she's being so careful and she shot someone just because she thought they were an alien. I expected a little more distrust on her side. Her little brother is adorable though! FYI, he's also adorable in the movie :D Lovely review, Tia!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. TBH not my cup of tea! But loved your review! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete