Monday, November 7, 2016

It's Monday! Let's Dicsuss...Diversity

This week the topic I thought we would discuss is diversity and why we need it.

There has been a lot of tension in the bookish community regarding diversity and the lack of it in literature. It makes me sad that so many people are disagreeing with the fact that everyone should be represented. Sure, it's the author's choice on what they want to write about, but it should also be on the author's radar that they need to represent their readers. If you write something for an entire community to read, then wouldn't you in turn try and make your readers feel connected to your characters in many different ways.

And before any of you think I am judging you or thinking poorly of your book choices, please don't. Because I, too, have found myself not reading a lot of diverse literature. I have only recently started noticing the patterns in books. But that's all it takes, is that one moment where you finally see the world a little bit differently, where you take into account other people's feelings. We NEED more diversity in books. How else are we supposed to represent the world? The world is such a diverse place and it needs to be talked about.

With everything going on with this election we see even more clearly now how messed up some people can think. How there are so many people in the world who think it is okay to suppress the needs of others. We see it everyday, but not everyone realizes what they are actually seeing. This needs to stop. We need to come together as human beings and support each other. I am so tired of seeing everyone fighting and hating each other.

So, what I am asking you, my followers, is to pick up a book that might be out of your comfort zone. Read something that you have never read about before and put yourself in the shoes of those who struggle more than you do. It'll be worth it, trust me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment