Monday, November 14, 2016

It's Monday! Let's Discuss...Alternating Point of View

This week the topic I thought we would discuss is alternating POV

When I first started reading, I hated POV changes and I hated third person. As I continued reading, however, I have grown to love those two writing styles more and more. I like how with third person we get a feel for each the character and their surroundings as well. I like how when an author writes in third person, the generally rotate between characters. It just gives it a deeper feel to it.

There are some cons, however. With third person, you generally don't get a lot of the inner dialogue. There's always a mystery surrounding the character being focused on. But I kind of like that. It keeps me guessing.

POV changes are a little tricky. If they aren't done right it can lead to the book not being as great as it could have been if it had just focused on the one character. I see this a lot with authors who write in first person and change POVs every other chapter. It mainly shows in the writing of the male character (if it's being switched between love interests etc etc) when a female is writing the story. Now don't get me wrong, there are *many* authors out there who pull this off flawlessly. But the bad POV changes are still out there (I was one of them haha).

In the end, for me personally, I like POV changes when it's written in third person. Actually...I generally prefer third person over first person now. I think it's because it has become so common, especially in fantasy books.

What is your view on alternating POV? Love it or hate it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment